These are the March Update news:
- Meeting: PTNet's #rpg and the Ice Ring are planning to organize
a small gathering for RPG fans, that will take place in
Lisbon (Portugal). It'll probably be held on a Monday or
Wednesday afternoon (there still isn't a fixed date).
If you're interested in meeting other RPG maniacs
and you can attend to this gathering, drop an e-mail to
- Reviews: we have another review! The King Arthur has decided
to write about Final Fantasy 8. Check out what he thinks
- Strike: here's an important info for the portuguese visitors.
CP (portuguese railroad company) will be on strike from today
until the end of the month. The Alpha and Intercities trains
will be suppressed during this period. Most of Lisbon's suburban
trains will also be suppresed in the 27th, 29th and 31st of March.
Don't forget that Lisbon's subway will also be on strike in the
28th of March, from 6h30 to 10h30 AM. This isn't RPG related info,
but I hated being caught today in the middle of CP's strike without
any kind of warning... At least the same thing won't happen to
the visitors of this page.
- Football: Sporting has beaten Porto by 2-0 and is now leading
the Portuguese Premier League! The goals were scored by André
Cruz and Acosta, during the first half. Not RPG related stuff, but
important anyway (at least for me :) ).
- Final Fantasy: the 9th episode of this saga is near. Squaresoft
has already announced some details about the game. This way, we
now know that there will be 8 available characters to join your
group. You will also be able to "customize" your characters.
You'll be able to find two airships during the 40 hours that
will take you to finish the game. There are also rumours that
the story will be connected to Final Fantasy: the Movie. Let's
see what happens during the next days.
- Reviews: a couple of new reviews have been added. Its author
(the_odin) has decided to write about Alundra and Wild Arms,
two games for Sony's PlayStation. Read'em and see what he thinks
about the games!
- New console: Indrema has announced their new home entertainment
system, the L600E. Although the specs are quite impressive, there's
one thing that separates this console from all the others. Instead
of using Windows CE (like the Dreamcast or X-Box, for example), the
L600E will be a Linux-based system. All you penguin fans out there
have reasons to be happy :). Here are the full specifications taken
from Indrema's site:
Take a special look at the OpenGL support... maybe an alternative
to X-Box's DirectX support? And check out the hard drive option,
mp3 playback system and Ethernet port. Another system that will
let you play emulators? Looks promising.
- 600 MHz Processor
- 64 MB Fast Memory
- 2/8/30/50 GB Hard Drive Option
- 100 Mbps Ethernet Port
- 1 Composite Video In, 1 Out
- 1 S-Video In, 1 Out
- 1 Component HD or SVGA Out
- 1 Stereo In, 1 Out (L/R)
- 1 Digital Audio Out (Optical)
- 4 USB Universal Ports
- Built-in Infrared Sensor
- Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Option
- Special "DV Linux" Distribution
- Supports OpenGL(tm) and OpenStream(tm)
- Massive 3D HW Acceleration (NV25 or better)
- MPEG2 Dual Stream HW Acceleration
- HDTV Output Supports 480p, 720p, 1080i
- 3D Audio Converts to Dolby Digital Out
- Integrated Mozilla Browser and E-mail
- Quake 3 Arena/Unreal Tournament
- MP3/VOB Storage and Playback System
- Integrated Personal TV System (like TiVO)
- Server: Romseeker is having some server problems. Since this page
is hosted there, this is also affecting us. Sorry for any incoveniences
this is causing. The guys at Romseeker are working hard to solve this
as soon as possible.
- Reviews: there's a new review available. Its author (Cyrus) talks about
Final Fantasy Tactics. Check out what he has to say! A couple of new
reviews written by the_odin should be added soon.
- Disclaimer: I've decided to add a legal disclaimer to the page. I advise
you to read it... specially because it features a cool comic strip made
by the guys at Overclocked.
Go to the Download section and check it out!
- X-Box: it's official, Bill Gates himself has confirmed the existence
of Microsoft's console. According to his words, they expect
X-Box to be the platform of choice for the best and most creative
game developers in the world. The specs are quite impressive and
the possibility of using Microsoft's DirectX API to program the games
is quite attractive at the eyes of most software houses. The custom
designed graphic chip (by nVidia) packs quite a punch... it can handle
300 million polygons per second. But take a look at the official specs:
Take a special look at the hard drive capability, the existence of
an expansion port and the 100 MBps Ethernet card. There are several
rumours running around the web about the capability of running emulators
on this machine (since it has a hard drive and will be based in an
operative system). However, we will have to wait until the second
quarter of 2001 to find out. Until then, Sega and Sony have the
videogames market in their hands.
- 600 MHz x86 compatible CPU
- Custom 3-D NVIDIA graphics processor
- 64 MB of RAM (unified memory architecture)
- Custom 3-D audio processor
- 8GB hard drive
- 4X DVD drive with movie playback
- Four game controller ports
- Expansion port
- Proprietary A/V connector
- 100 MBps Ethernet
- PSX 2: Sony has detected problems that affect some units of their
new system. It seems that, sometimes, the MemCards get corrupted,
making it ready to hit the trash bin. DVD drivers can also fail,
making the DVD unit pretty much useless. Overheating was also
detected in some machines (a problem that also affected some of
the early Dreamcasts). However, Sony has announced that all these
problems have already been fixed.
- 19: not RPG related news, but... I'm 19. Happy birthday to me!
- Dragonball Z RPG: this SNES game has been translated to spanish.
The patch, made by Sayans Translations, is 100% complete. I was
planning to add the patched version on the next global update but...
I'm a generous person, you can get it right now in the Download
- Domains: Squaresoft has registered the following web domains:
finalfantasy12.com, finalfantasy13.com, finalfantasy14.com,
finalfantasy15.com, final fantasyxii.com, finalfantasyxiii.com,
finalfantasyxiv.com, finalfantasyxv.com, finalfantasy-xii.com,
finalfantasy-xiii.com, finalfantasy-xiv.com and finalfantasy-xv.com.
Although they haven't actually announced the games, this "register
fever" is pretty interesting...
- Might and Magic: the 8th chapter of this saga should be released
in the next couple of weeks. It'll use the same engine as the previous
one, only with minor improvements.
You know something important that happened recently? Then
send it to me! If it's really important, I'll place it here!
Old Updates of this section are
available in the Archive.